Saturday, December 27, 2008

11 Dec 08

The plan is to break the team into 2 smaller teams. This is necessary for several reasons. 1.) Zia is in season and I can keep her away from the in-tact boys. 2.) This is our first run on a sled this year and we don’t want to get in over our heads in case we can’t hook down. I remember from yesterday’s run that there were a few places where there was only an inch of snow or so. Not too many places, but enough to make me cautious.

The first team has 7 dogs and a majority of the rookies. Needless to say there isn’t enough experienced dogs to put with the rookies, so I have to do more babysitting and make sure everyone gets along. The boys know there is a girl in season, but don’t know where she’s at. I have a 30 pound bag of cedar chips in the toboggan and off we go. The temps were a bit warmer than the last few days and the trail was soft due to some fresh snow. Although it was our first time on sleds, I don’t expect the same results as the 4 wheeler, but this was a very painful run and almost not enjoyable. The boys weren’t working as a team and it became very frustrating. We’ll see how the second team does.

I get the boys back to the truck, watered and put in their boxes and then hook up the girls and Lasar. Lasar is 6 years old and neutered and doesn’t seem to be affected by Zia. He is just happy to be running. I put Lasar at wheel and Zia at lead with Luna. This team only has six dogs and after the trail conditions I just observed, I take the weight out of the sled. This was a much more enjoyable run. Five experienced dogs and one rookie. This was a great run and put me in a better mood.

The trails look pretty good and from here on out we will be on sleds as long as the snow doesn’t melt. Today’s run was only 10 miles.

No comments: