Wed night we received a couple of inches of snow. I was off onThursday, so we decided to get the team out for a short run. My shoulder was feeling pretty good with some minor pain. Mary's help was appreciated and without her, this run would not have happened.
We ran 2 teams of 8 with the 4 wheeler for a 9 mile run. This permitted me to get the 3, which recovered from previous injuries,back in the team.
We were the first ones at the trails so there wasn't an opportunityfor the snow to get packed down on the ice.
Everyone was excited to get back in harness and they performedadmirably. I kept them at a trot so they wouldn't risk a shoulderinjury by sliding on the snow that hadn't stuck to the ice.
I chose the 4 wheeler, since the 2 inches of snow wouldn't createenough base on top of the ice to hold a hook. This would give memore control over the dogs if I had to stop and not jeapordizehurting my shoulder anymore.
We did lose some conditioning, but not as much as I thought. Once weget back on sleds, I will be in a better position to assess theirconditioning and re-evaluate the rest of the race year.